World going mobile, as smartphone sales to exceed PCsFebruary 8, 2014
In 2014, the number of smartphones in use globally is anticipated to exceed the number of PCs.
The annual sales of smartphones exceeded desktop computers in 2013. PCs in use around the globe number more than 1.5 billion, and they are generally used for a longer span than smartphones, (which are more frequently replaced, as new models benefit from constant upgrades in memory, capacity and battery performance).
Tablets, while still a distant third in terms of numbers in use, are expected to start outselling PCs next year.
In 2015, smartphone worldwide sales are projected to reach 776 million units.
Related: Mobile video consumption data
While the PC installed base is estimated using 5-year trailing PC sales, the smartphone and tablet installed base uses 2-year trailing sales.
However, anecdotal evidence may indicate a more conservative rate should apply to PCs, as many home and small business computers remain in use beyond 5 years. PC sales are on a global decline as this Statista chart illustrates.
Nonetheless, the increased sales, traffic and time on smartphones and tablets merely reflects a global trend in ever-accelerating volume of mobile computing. The increasingly frequent use of handheld devices for timeshifting, second screening, social networking, pre-purchase research, m.commerce and mobile video are all changing patterns of user behaviour.
What does this mean for businesses?
For all enterprise, large and small, the trend in mobile means a refocusing of marketing and operations onto handheld devices. Fundamentally that means ensuring your brand is presented effectively online, in video and in social media.
- To avoid miniaturisation of a standard website, and adapt to the size and orientation of handheld device screens, the online presence must be built with responsive design
- To maximise visual impact and propel your brand forward, videos (of between 1’00” and 2’00” duration) are the most effective. Search engine optimisation (SEO) is also best served with video, as Google ranking is considerably higher for content presented in video, than the identical content in text and images only
- To maximise community engagement, client advocacy and prospect opportunities and SEO, social media platforms must be created and curated. If your business does not have the in-house resources to moderate, generate and curate content, an external supplier should be engaged to train or supply this service for your brand
Related: Social Media for business
Digital Tsunami can assist in developing an eStrategy for your brand. We listen carefully to you requirements and objectives, propose appropriate solutions which will achieve your goals, and implement online and offline collaterals to effectively promote your brand.
In Nov 2013, Statista reported that over a six year period, the rate of increase of global IP traffic (in petabytes of data per month) for smartphones (146%), had exceeded that for PCs, over the same span of time (127%). Data source: Cisco.
- Second Screening infographic
- Mobile consumer statistics 2012
- How Mobile is changing business
- Is that a phone in your hand or you just shopping?
- Video via Mobile. The latest statistics
- Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers; 2012 Internet Trends
- 2013. The year of Mobile, Social and Video
From Our Clients
You are a true professional Andrew, and your team was very impressive.
The results will be seen around the globe shortly as we embark on our new advertising campaign. I do greatly appreciate the extra lengths you went to under difficult circumstances, to help us achieve our goal.
Digital Tsunami provided an outstanding service throughout the whole web development process. Andrew spent extensive time early on to understand our business in order to provide additional conceptual and strategic contributions to the brand and corporate identity of Kinetic Defence Services to ensure the message was clear, precise and appealing to the target audience.
The development process was smooth and efficient and enabled us to have an input throughout to guarantee total satisfaction with the final look and feel of the site.
I could not be more delighted. Once again Thank You. You and your team at Digital Tsunami have been incredible.
I would like to thank you for your tremendous contribution to Foodbank over the years.
The organisation certainly wouldn’t be where we are today without your support!
Once again, thanks for your promptness and partnership.
The current challenge of my job at Abbott is one of the greatest I've faced in 25 years of IT career. It's reassuring to know I can count on people like you when things go wrong.