World going mobile, as smartphone sales to exceed PCsFebruary 8, 2014
In 2014, the number of smartphones in use globally is anticipated to exceed the number of PCs.
The annual sales of smartphones exceeded desktop computers in 2013. PCs in use around the globe number more than 1.5 billion, and they are generally used for a longer span than smartphones, (which are more frequently replaced, as new models benefit from constant upgrades in memory, capacity and battery performance).
Tablets, while still a distant third in terms of numbers in use, are expected to start outselling PCs next year.
In 2015, smartphone worldwide sales are projected to reach 776 million units.
Related: Mobile video consumption data
While the PC installed base is estimated using 5-year trailing PC sales, the smartphone and tablet installed base uses 2-year trailing sales.
However, anecdotal evidence may indicate a more conservative rate should apply to PCs, as many home and small business computers remain in use beyond 5 years. PC sales are on a global decline as this Statista chart illustrates.
Nonetheless, the increased sales, traffic and time on smartphones and tablets merely reflects a global trend in ever-accelerating volume of mobile computing. The increasingly frequent use of handheld devices for timeshifting, second screening, social networking, pre-purchase research, m.commerce and mobile video are all changing patterns of user behaviour.
What does this mean for businesses?
For all enterprise, large and small, the trend in mobile means a refocusing of marketing and operations onto handheld devices. Fundamentally that means ensuring your brand is presented effectively online, in video and in social media.
- To avoid miniaturisation of a standard website, and adapt to the size and orientation of handheld device screens, the online presence must be built with responsive design
- To maximise visual impact and propel your brand forward, videos (of between 1’00” and 2’00” duration) are the most effective. Search engine optimisation (SEO) is also best served with video, as Google ranking is considerably higher for content presented in video, than the identical content in text and images only
- To maximise community engagement, client advocacy and prospect opportunities and SEO, social media platforms must be created and curated. If your business does not have the in-house resources to moderate, generate and curate content, an external supplier should be engaged to train or supply this service for your brand
Related: Social Media for business
Digital Tsunami can assist in developing an eStrategy for your brand. We listen carefully to you requirements and objectives, propose appropriate solutions which will achieve your goals, and implement online and offline collaterals to effectively promote your brand.
In Nov 2013, Statista reported that over a six year period, the rate of increase of global IP traffic (in petabytes of data per month) for smartphones (146%), had exceeded that for PCs, over the same span of time (127%). Data source: Cisco.
- Second Screening infographic
- Mobile consumer statistics 2012
- How Mobile is changing business
- Is that a phone in your hand or you just shopping?
- Video via Mobile. The latest statistics
- Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers; 2012 Internet Trends
- 2013. The year of Mobile, Social and Video
From Our Clients
For providing a reliable, fast, and well maintained hosting service for business websites, I recommend Andrew and his company Digital Tsunami. The technical support given has been above and beyond, their hosting the fastest I have experienced, and is very well maintained with no issues.
Andrew certainly bends over backwards for his new and current clients, and I can tell he genuinely cares about providing nothing short of an outstanding service.
Andrew W Morse and the Digital Tsunami team are world class, creative professionals in the challenging and highly competitive business of web page design and utilisation.
He understands business, he understands marketing, he understands communication and he understands design. And most importantly, his web pages pay for themselves within weeks of going online.
Andrew helped us to see the potential of video in bringing our new website to life.
He held our hand through the process, making it as undaunting as possible.
He delivered a great selection of videos (from a one-day shoot), that really tell the Foodbank story and will be a great addition to our communications.
With a brief timeline to ensure we had a web presence and launch coinciding with our 10 year anniversary, Digital Tsunami delivered. On time. On budget. Great Effort!
.. accurately interpreted the project brief and the outcome was a piece of cost effective quality work.