Music, play on!May 17, 2013
For me, music has been a life-long love.
Playing, purchasing, listening and producing it has been a constant in my personal (and often professional) life. An enduring curiosity has allowed me to explore and encounter wonderful new genres and artists.
There are few limits to the types of music I appreciate, from baroque to deep house, trip-hop to soundtrack opera. In the pre-Internet age, record store owners in two hemispheres offered insights and introductions. For a taste of this inspirational journey, view the Pinterest board “elegance in music“.
Fortunately, working in radio, live music, film and online, has allowed me to discover, collaborate with and promote a wide variety of musicians.
Of my extensive musical activities, I have:
- played in a band for ten years
- performed in an orchestra
- sung on a choral recording
- collected records of obscure artists
- produced live-to-air concerts from a radio studio
- produced hundreds of hours of live radio
- written under a byline for an American electronic music magazine
- played some of the first punk music on Australian radio
- interviewed a composer using bio-feedback to generate music
- managed one of the earliest public radio stations
- recorded an interview with Graham Parker
- promoted liquor licensed concerts with Cold Chisel and The Angels
- proselytised for emerging musical performers
- explored eclectic tastes with record store owner mentors
- scouted bands at countless live gigs across Melbourne
- mixed fold-back for live rock bands
- operated a booking agency
- managed an all-female heavy rock guitar band
- worked as a ‘roadie’ across urban and rural Australia
- acted as unofficial Road Manager on the first Australian tour of The Cure
- worked in EMI’s cutting edge 301 recording studio
- engaged composers on major mini-series and feature films
- hired bands to perform on screen for television drama
- seen someone jam a knife into the stage while Talking Heads played “Psycho Killer”
- experienced ‘Tommy’ in quadrophonic sound at The Capitol
- produced a television commercial with Rita Coolidge
- collaborated with composer on an authentic computer game soundtrack
- worked with composers on music for television mini-series
- managed the film shoot of a music video for German rapper Sabrina Setlur
- gone drinking with INXS in the back streets of Hong Kong
- been to see Lionel Hampton play vibraphone in Paris
- walked out on a lethargic Miles Davis at the ‘Ent Cent’
- danced to the beat on beaches in Thailand and The Philippines
- hung out in blues bars in Tokyo
- witnessed the Old Jazz Band in the Peace Hotel, Shanghai
- clubbed to trance music in Jakarta
- chilled in student lounge bars in Taipei
- supervised filming of a Chinese canto-pop star in Paris
- worked with a Swedish composer on music for web video
- listened to the eclectic Radio FiP in France and online
- produced tracks for a client to use as ‘music on hold’
- created an identity for a European modern composer
- developed a website for Jamaican rapper Ru.CL
- bought CDs from exceptional buskers
- supported artists by contributing to crowd-sourcing their recordings
- suggested tracks to the house band in a remote China 5 star hotel
- listened to nascent online music platform rdio.com
and just today:
- launched a website for Australian recording artist Jenna Dearness-Dark
From thousands of hopefuls, Jenna was selected to appear on “The Voice”. She was one of only 15 contestants for whom all 4 coaches turned their chairs.
Described as having “the voice of an angel”, Jenna has been performing and writing for many years. The website reflects her character and music and showcases song lyrics, audio tracks, photographs and video.
The website is just the latest in a lifelong engagement with music.
written by Digital Tsunami founder, Andrew W Morse
From Our Clients
This is fantastic. Thank you. I really appreciate all the work you have done for us!
The launch .. was a success. We were able to present this live on a Wireless connection during our Sydney, Australia sales conference on a location with very limited internet bandwidth. This proves the technology used .. renders light webpages which are easy to download on a browser.
Comments I've heard from our employees were all positive and reflected precisely what we were looking for: a simple but concise, clean and effective webpage.
We acknowledge the timeframe given to you was extremely short but nevertheless you have sucessfully delivered the project on schedule .. the critical success factor was communication and availability of Digital Tsunami's team.
I am very glad we were able to partner with such a professional team as yours and I am confident any other initiatives with you will be as successful.
Thank you for the development of an updated brand image for Wah Yuet in China.
While originally contracted to produce a video highlighting Wah Yuet's manufacturing capabilities, it was apparent very quickly that your understanding of our requirements, combined with your experience, were the perfect fit to create a new logo and style guidelines for the company. While relatively small in scope, you were dedicated to the success of the project and I am pleased to say that you hit the bullseye!
I recently engaged Digital Tsunami to design and build my 60-page website. I'm a website copywriter who relies heavily on web-generated business, so my own online presence needs to be impeccable.
The solution that Digital Tsunami supplied is brilliant. It meets my needs perfectly; it's clean, bold, elegant, fast, and easy to edit. I've had lots of very positive feedback about it, and since launch, my request for quote rate and conversion rate have increased markedly.
The team at Digital Tsunami was incredibly responsive, delivering a solution well ahead of deadline. Their technical knowledge was exceptional, they were innovative, and they were very meticulous. What's more, they understood my business and technical requirements and translated them into a user-friendly, refined, professional site which is conceptually simple and cohesive.
I have no hesitation in recommending the website design services of Digital Tsunami to any business .. that needs a stand-out online presence.
The services provided included the registration of our domain name, establishment of our email accounts, and development & hosting of our website, were all executed rapidly and effectively. We also appreciate the service of upgrading our list of 150 shelf company names (in Chinese characters and English) every 2 weeks.
We valued the high level of creative design provided by Digital Tsunami, both for the website and the corporate identity.