A refined interface for LinkedInJune 4, 2013
LinkedIn has continued its interface evolution with the launch of a refined format.
Amongst the latest changes are:
- replacement of the LinkedIn logo with the “in” icon (in the top left of the screen)
- a hidden main nav, which slides down when the cursor is at the top of the page
- status updates elevated to the top of the page
- People You May Know and Ads duplicated at the top and bottom of the sidebar
- ‘bottomless’ content in the main panel, which populates as you scroll down
- larger images for profiles
- larger pop-out panels on rollover of profile images in People You May Know
- the ability to follow ‘Channels’
- the ability to follow ‘Influencers’
The Influencers concept is incorporated in a highly graphic format with columns of photographs integrated with news items, the author’s portrait and follow link. Pardon the pun, but this format ‘follows’ a style which has already been well-established by publishers and social networks, so it is perhaps unsurprising that LinkedIn is bringing it to the world’s professional online network.
One aspect of the Influencers module which may be unpopular with some, is that profiles are automatically following multiple Influencers, which if preferred, have to manually ‘unfollowed’!
I am sure that the strategy is intended to engage members in the process, but not everybody desires to follow business-people simply because they are well-recognised.
The LinkedIn format changes continue the continual cross-pollination of components between major online players (business, entertainment and social).
A process which is likely to continue.
From Our Clients
You are a true professional Andrew, and your team was very impressive.
The results will be seen around the globe shortly as we embark on our new advertising campaign. I do greatly appreciate the extra lengths you went to under difficult circumstances, to help us achieve our goal.
I have viewed all the videos and would like to commend you on the excellent quality.
I would like to thank you for the excellent editing which portrays the event as dynamic and stimulating.
You did excellent work with the site.
.. accurately interpreted the project brief and the outcome was a piece of cost effective quality work.
We were very happy with the development process and the outcome. The objectives have all been achieved, in terms of usability and ease of use in updating the site. You definitely nailed both of these.